Inspiring Reminders to Think, Live and Love Well

Inspiring Reminders to Think and Live Well

Friday, February 1, 2013

Willpower Buddies

Best Workout buddy Ever
 
So, this was today's beautiful mountain view on our walk this morning.  It's one of Calgary's famous big blue sky winter days which makes me adore my city.  Not so much on Tuesday, with the -38 degree windchill!  But we walked anyway.  Toby has boots, and I have long undies - so we brave it every day, no matter how miserable the weather.  And yes, it's often a major willpower push for me.  Another cup of coffee in my warm bed with my ipad would be soooo comfortably appealing, but Toby`s big brown eyes win me over everytime.  That`s the way all willpower battles play out:  two voices shout loudly for our attention.  The healthy, goal-oriented voice of our best self urges us to choose the apple, while the bratty, rebellious voice stamps her foot and demands the cookies.  Winning the willpower war is all about pumping up that motivated voice to top volume.  The pup has me wrapped around his little paws, so the ``get out of bed`` voice now plays pretty loudly in my own head - thanks to his focussed terrier determination.  So, while walking has become a pretty consistent habit for me, my real fitness willpower challenge is going to be getting myself to the gymn to GET STRONG.  I`ve had a pretty good history of dabbling with weights, once-in-awhile, kind of sporadically, you know the story......  They don`t allow four-legged friends, so the kick-in-the-butt will have to come from somewhere else.  Next step is to learn everything I need to know about brain wars.  So far, what I can tell you is this - training my gray matter is going to be the secret weapon in the building the biceps battle. 

1 comment:

  1. hey nice post meh, I love your style of blogging here. this post reminded me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: Improve Your Willpower .
    keep up the good work friend. I will be back to read more of your posts.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete