Inspiring Reminders to Think, Live and Love Well

Inspiring Reminders to Think and Live Well

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Love Your Body

www.sxc.hu


     Eating Disorders Awareness Week runs from Feb. 6 to 12 in Canada.  Let's focus on prevention of eating disorders - whether it's anorexia, bulimia, binge-eating, emotional overeating or obesity.  A common link between all problems of disordered eating behaviors is  POOR BODY IMAGE.  Body image refers to our brain's perception of what our body looks like.  This includes the thoughts and feelings we have internalized about how we look to ourselves and others.  Especially in the case of eating disorders, our internal perception of our body's appearance may in fact be very different than reality, or how others see us.  Unfortunately, many people (read women most frequently) tend to engrave into their minds a very negative set of thoughts, beliefs and images about their bodies.  Far too many women, and way too many very young girls actually admit to HATING their bodies.  Men are certainly not immune either.  In fact the numbers of men and boys who suffer from eating disorders are rising dramatically in recent years.  
     The good news about body image is that it's something we produce in our own minds.  If our negative and self-critical thoughts are powerful enough to create a distorted or miserable body image, then changing those thoughts can create a more pleasurable, positive perception of ourselves.  Start with a simple daily exercise:  Look into the mirror first thing in the morning.  Instead of the usual search for flaws, why not challenge yourself to find one thing that pleases you about your appearance.  Maybe it's just "I have lovely shaped eyebrows".  Great start.  Tomorrow, challenge yourself to talk lovingly about two body parts.  The next day, can you give yourself a compliment about three aspects of your appearance?  Can you imagine how good it could feel to develop the habit of enhancing your feelings about your body EVERY DAY, rather than focusing on what you don't like?  
     So, what if you really could be healthier if you lost a few pounds?  A healthy love of your body doesn't mean you can't still look for change and improvement within yourself.  As with all change, when you start from a place of acceptance, you'll get the changes you want with much more ease.  We know that the more positive the body image you enjoy, the more likely you are to be able to lose needed weight, and keep it off.  So, whatever body you're in, work towards acceptance and self-love.  You're worth it!

2 comments:

  1. I have to comment on this one too - this time a bit more seriously. I tend to put on weight easily and the times I've been overweight I've truly hated myself. I didn't even want to go out to meet people and have fun as I thought that I was ugly (even though I wasn't). And I also tried to change my attitude, enjoy my life as I am, but I couldn't. I had to admit to myself that I hated myself and my life would be over unless I lost weight. You see, I felt like a prisoner inside my fat body.

    I guess it's hard to understand this if one has always been thin. It's easier said than done to love yourself the way you are if you know that you'd rather be thin. You can't lie to yourself. And eventually you just have to lose that weight. :-) Which is a good thing, of course, because you will also feel healthier.

    But I feel sorry for those who can't lose weight no matter what they try. Can they really change the way they feel about themselves? I doubt that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're certainly right, Helena, that "it's easier said than done" to "love yourself the way you are when you'd rather be thin". My suggestion is that we strive to see ourselves in more positive,loving ways as the first step toward change. What we know about the psychology of the change process is that self-acceptance, and positive, supportive nurturing of goal-directed behavior is far more effective than self-hatred and self-criticism as a motivator for change. This applies if the goal is to lose weight as well as any other attempt at self-development. I see this all the time in my practice treating clients who are struggling with weight, eating and body image issues. When my clients focus on more supportive and loving beliefs about themselves and their bodies, their behavior changes to support their goals as well. To put it simply, when we love and cherish ourselves, we treat ourselves with more respect, gentleness, and self-care. Eating in a more healthy manner and moving our bodies with joy then become the more obvious choices for us.

    ReplyDelete